Skip to main content

Escuela

Hello family & friends!
I have officically been in Spain for 2 weeks now, which its crazy. Time seems to be flying by. I am almost finished with my first class, Artistic Monuments. Like I said in an eariler post, the majority of this class we are walking around the city visiting different historical sites. Thus far, my favorite places we have visited have been, the Real Alcázar de Sevilla, and the Cathedral de Sevilla. I find the buildings here so interesting because they never really tear anything down. Throughout history, when a new group of people would take over the city, they would just build on top of what was already there. The Alcázar is a palace that was orginally built by Muslims and then added on to when the Christians took over the city. I find it so interesting to be able to see so much history from one building. My favorite part of the palace was the gardens. I feel as if I could wander through them for hours and still have so much to see. They were breath-takingly beautiful.








Later in the week, we finally visited the Cathedral. I say finally because we literally walk past it multiple times a day and we finally got to see inside of it. There really aren't any words that accurately describe the grand beauty of the Cathedral. Similarly to the Alcázar, it was first a mosque built by the Muslims and when the Christains took over they changed it into a Roman Catholic cathedral. Today it is the largest Gothic cathedral in the world and the 3rd largest church in the world. The altars in the church are so intricate and beautiful they take your breath away. I also found it so amazing that the people of that time could build such a huge beautiful building with what little technology they had. It really was a surreal experience. 





Some of the altars in the Cathedral.

View of the city from the cathedral's tower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kayaking on the Guadalquivir

Hola! I am currently in my 5th and final week here in Spain (muy triste😭). This week has been extremely hot but we still are getting out and enjoying our last few days in Spain. Today we took a kayaking trip down the river, Guadalquivir. It is a pretty large river that runs through the city. It was a lot of fun and definitely a small escape from the hot weather. We were in two person kayaks so it was a bit of a struggle at first trying to synchronize our rowing. You would think Ashley and I would be so in sync from living together for 5 weeks that we could figure it out, but that wasn't the case. We eventually got it figured out and were able to successfully paddle down the river. I was even able to take a couple pictures without getting my phone wet or dropping it in the river. All together I would call it a success!                    I am starting to feel really sad about leaving Spain. After living here for 5 weeks and meeting so many amazing people, it really feels like

Parasailing in Marbella

Hola a todos! This weekend was full of adventure and spontaneity! I last minute decided to go to Marbella, Spain with a group of friends from school. And it was a very good decision indeed! We left on Saturday and it was about a 3 hour bus ride to Marbella. When we got there, we checked into our cute little AirBNB and then headed to the beach. The beach was beautiful as always. After spending a couple hours tanning and relaxing we headed back to our place to get dressed for dinner. We ended up going to an Indian restaurant, which I have never had before. It was delicious! Not only am I trying Spanish food in Spain, but other ethnically different food as well! After dinner, we headed to bed so we could be well rested for the next day. It was a good thing that we did, because we spontaneously decided to go parasailing!                 Parasailing was amazing! I was quite nervous before-hand because I don't like heights all that much but I am so glad that I did it. There real

Adventures of España

Hola mis amigos! I have officially been in Spain for a week! It is crazy how fast time is going. I am constantly busy and if I'm not, I'm usually sleeping 😅. I have already seen and done so much! This last weekend we spent a day on a beach about an hour away called Matlascañas (pics below). It was so beautiful and very relaxing. I am in awe at how many wonderful people I have met here through my program (SAIIE), my mama, and people in Sevilla. Last week, when I was walking home from class, I saw an artist drawing these amazing pictures of bull fighting. As we were walking away, he asked me if I liked his pictures and if I would want him to draw a small picture of me. I said sure and we sat down together while he drew me. He could only speak a little English so we mostly spoke in Spanish. I learned he was originally from Argentina but now lives in Sevilla where he is an artist for a living. He was so kind and gave me the drawing for free. As we parted he gave me do